Applying for Partner Visa: What You Need to Know

Partner visaswhat-you-need-to-know-when-applying-for-partner-visa can be used by any of the following individuals: the fiancés or partners of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens.

There are two options available for this type of visa.

The first one is called fiancée visa.
This visa has a validity of nine months and the application should be done outside of Australia. This is followed by a spouse visa which is applied for in Australia.

The spouse visa may be used by married or de facto partners.
The application for this visa can be done in Australia if the applicant is already in the country and holds a visa that allows him/her to apply for it.

What are the requirements for a partner visa?

Both partners have requirements that they have to submit.

The applicant must submit: his/her birth certificate; ; police check from country of origin and Australia; medical check; statutory declaration which details the relationship between the applicant and sponsor, evidence of their relationship and Form 80.

The sponsor must submit statutory declaration which details the relationship between the applicant and sponsor.

Both parties should also fill out and submit Form 888 Statutory Declarations which serves as proof that the couple is indeed in a genuine and continuing relationship. This should be supported by a confirmation from two people.

Couples should also submit evidence of their financial commitment like joint bank account statements, billing statements which contain the names of the sponsor and the applicants, and receipts.

In addition, the couple should show proof that the couple has lived at the same address. These include lease contracts, photographs, and statements.

The Department of Immigration looks for signs of the legitimacy of the relationship. And in order to show proof for that, you may also want to submit evidence of you and your partner travelling together, accommodation receipts, and relevant certificates.

Which is better: DIY or hiring a migration agent?

Each option has its own set of pros and cons. Most applicants choose the DIY route to save money. However, that is not necessarily the case. Most self-lodged applications are refused, in fact Partner visa appeals represent 29%, the majority, of the Tribunal total migration caseload. And when an application is refused, the application fee is also forfeited and you have to spend a considerable amount of money to rectify things.

On top of that, you will need to make an appeal to have the decision reviewed by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

To put it succinctly, the application process is not easy. Plus, the rules are becoming more complex and stricter as the authorities are putting applications under heavier scrutiny, so getting professional help is a must.

Need assistance with your partner visa application? Contact our experienced migration agent for a consultation to get your partner visa process started or give us a quick call (02) 9188 9616, we’re based in Sydney, Australia.

Visa consultations are available via phone, in-person or Skype. Lean more about what we do here.

Applying for Partner Visa: What You Need to Know was last modified: November 22nd, 2016 by Migration World