Are you interested in working in Australia? Take the time to look into what is involved in applying for a 457 visa, the most popular Australian visa for working Down Under. Basically, it allows skilled workers to come to Australia for the express purpose of working for an approved business on a temporary basis.
What are some of the important points you need to note regarding the 457 visa?
Benefit for Australian or Overseas Employers
It provides a solution for employers facing labour shortages. It allows temporary work for skilled foreigners they want to hire.
Benefits for the 457 Visa Holder
Holders of the 457 visa can enjoy:
- Work and study rights in Australia for up to four years.
- Unlimited number of times for travel in and out of Australia during this period.
- Permission to bring eligible family members who will enjoy the same benefits.
The salary involved must meet the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT), which is the minimum for 457 visa holders. It is currently set at $53,900. It has to be proved as well that an equivalent Australian employee in the same town or city would receive the same amount.
To check which workers are eligible, consult the Consolidated Occupations List furnished on the official site of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. Nonetheless, the most popular occupations include:
- Sales and marketing managers
- Business analysts
- Marketing specialists
- Restaurant managers
- Customer service managers
Becoming a Sponsor of an Employee on a 457 Visa
To be eligible, a business must prove that:
- It is an operating business with lawful trading activities.
- It invests in training and meets training benchmark requirements.
- It has a clean track record.
Businesses are usually approved as sponsors for a five-year period, but for new ones that have yet to operate for a complete year, 18 months of sponsorship is the norm.
Non-Australian companies with no presence in Australia may still sponsor foreigners to work in Australia, provided that they satisfy the following requirements:
- It is a lawfully operating business in its base country.
- It has a clean track record.
- It is coming to Australia to establish business operations there or fulfil contractual obligations.
Conditions Attached to the 457 Visa
This visa has some interesting caveats, including:
- If you’re in Australia, work must commence within 90 days of visa granting, but if you’re outside Australia, within 90 days of arrival.
- You must only work in your nominated occupation for your nominated employer. Moonlighting or a second job isn’t allowed, unless you have an exempt occupation.
- If you want to change employers, take note that:
- You have to wait until your new employer’s nomination has been approved before you start work.
- Your visa retains its original expiry date even if you have a new nomination approved.
- If you leave your nominated sponsor’s employment, the maximum period you can be without work is 60 days, so you have to start work with a new nominated employer within 60 days.
The 457 Visa Stages
Application involves three stages:
- Sponsorship – Your employer has to become an Approved Business Sponsor.
- Nomination – Your approved employer has to nominate a position for your sponsorship.
- Visa application – You have to apply for the 457 visa to be able to take on the nominated position.
The 457 visa is the most popular means of working in Australia. The process is quite cumbersome, so it’s best to get expert assistance when applying.
For more detailed information, check our website here.
If you need more assistance about your 457 visa or if you want to sponsor an employee, contact Migration World for a consultation to get the visa process started or call us now +61-2-9188 9616.
Visa consultations are available via phone, in-person or Skype.